Friday, July 10, 2009

July 4th Letter

Dear Mom and Dad July 4, 2009
My P-Day is Friday, this week we have a pseudo p-day today on Saturday.
There has been a lot going on and we are being tested. We have daily challenges that we must overcome.
I have thought a lot about the significance today holds for all missionaries. Today we celebrate our independence and we should be turning our gaze heaven word. Without this great nation and our freedom, this faith could not have blossomed and grown as it has. I am extremely grateful.
In my last letter I accidently left out the name of one of my roommates. Elder Eversole from Las Vegas, Nevada.
Elder Elg, my companion lived in Boise and his mom would like to get in contact with you.
I have heard that the spirit is very evident here, but so is the power of the adversary. This is very true it matters only what spirit you choose to tune into. Yesterday, we had a very amazing experience. In class Hermana Pena Aflora, wanted us to see what our investigators need to learn to be truly converted. She asked us to share our conversion stories the first few were not all that spectacular, but then Elder Patton stood up. Elder Patton is our gentle giant and he has a good heart. He stood and spoke of how when he was young he was very small and got picked on a lot. I know exactly how he felt, but my home life was better. He never felt very loved, he felt that no one could love him. He believed in God and Jesus Christ but did not feel they cared about him personally. He was a member his entire life. His parents got divorced and he and his mom moved to Oregon. He told us that moving to Oregon changed his life, he finally had friends. He said that there he got his first real girlfriend. He told her about all of the things that he felt made him a bad person, and he was afraid that she would leave him, but she didn’t for the first time in his life he finally felt loved by someone. Through this he finally was able to learn that God and Jesus Christ loved him, that they could love him. He became truly converted. He l=wanted to tell others that God loved them toll so he came on a mission. He said that he had become a bit discouraged again in; the MTC. He and myself, and some of the other elders were in tears by this time, and I know I had to help him. This entire day was very spiritual. Me, my companion , and Elder Patton’s companion gave Elder Patton a blessing that night. I told him after the blessing that we loved him and that he had been place in our path for a reason. I told him that he brought the spirit and touched my heat personally. I have been praying for him in my personal prayers. I am glad that I have parents that thought me that God loves me. Thank You. The Spirit of God was very evident in that meeting. Unfortunately I cannot say everyone has had the same great thing happen to them today.
Elder Danesh, he is from Gianna, in South America, had a hard time. He has had a bigger challenge that most of us. He has no Spanish experience and never really felt part on the district. During a meeting with his companion and our district leader got up and left, no one knew where he went. Our whole district went looking for him. He was found and we left two missionaries to watch him, he did not want to talk to anyone. He met whit our branch president and I have not seen him since. I do not how what his gate will be, but I wish I had reached out more, and I hope we get a second chance.
I don’t mean to be negative and I am truly becoming a better person each day, and I am enjoying my time here. I love you and pray for you. Elder Keith Banner

No comments: