Friday, August 14, 2009

August 14, 2009

Hey Everybody,
I hope you are all doing well. I have quite a bit of crazy stuff to report this week. On Sunday my companionship got made the new zone leaders in our branch. Being a zone leader is very interesting. It is a big challenge, but I am grateful for the opportunity to grow. I live on the first floor of our building, but all of the other elders in our zone live on the fourth floor. That is kind of a challenge because it is our job to make sure that everyone is in their rooms by quiet time, and that everybody is in bed by 10:30. It can be very hard because not all of the elders here are super dedicated to obedience. On our first night as zone leaders, two elders had not been seen since dinner, nobody knew where they were. We decided that we would give them the benefit of the doubt and not call the front desk until after 10:30. At 10:30 they still were not back so we called the front desk. Luckily they were up at the front desk and so it was ok. The next day one of the districts we are in charge of had a big fight. A lot of the people in the district were having obedience problems and so they were really mad at their district leader for telling them off. It was not a good situation. After a couple of days we got it all worked out, but it took a lot of time. On Wednesday one of the elders in a different district, also in our zone, passed out sometime after we went to bed, and hit his head on the floor. He went to the hospital in an ambulance and he is suffering from a mild concussion. The old zone leaders (they left for their missions on Wednesday) said that they never had anything crazy happen while they were zone leaders. We have definitely had our fair share of crazy events so far. I got to host new missionaries on Wednesday. It was a blast! I got to host two Elders and one Sister. When you host an Elder you help them get to where they check-in. Meet them on the other side with their bags, take them to their residence hall and drop them off to get their medical stuff checked. It takes about 10 minutes, then you go back for to wait for another Elder. For the sisters it is a little bit different. Two host Elders take all of the Sister's bags, so she does not have to carry anything, and they take her to the entrance of the building where the sisters all live. There they meet a host sister that finishes the rest of the hosting.The changed everything this week, so we were the first group with the new system. I hosted one Elder right after our meeting was over, then after a little while, I hosted a Sister. Her uncle was actually the old mission president for my mission. She is actually going to the same mission her dad went to. The next Elder I hosted was actually a triplet. All three boys came in at the same time. They all had exactly the same bags, so it was a bit confusing. It was kind of hard to see them have to leave their families. I think the hardest thing was seeing the fathers tear up, when they dropped of their missionaries. It made me remember how important this work is. I am really excited that Jennifer got to go up to Spokane to visit her friend. I will have to watch out for a Sister Reed in my last week. I hope she has had fun hanging out with Savannah. I am jealous! :) It sounds like she will be a little guitar player when I get back. Angie wanted to know if I had gotten a tape recorder yet. I did so if she wants to send me tapes I can. I am supposed to leave on August 31st so you might want to switch to letters then. In answer to her four square question. I have played four square almost every gym time since I got here! I love it, it is really fun. Thank you for all of your encouragement and support.
I love you all, Keith (Elder Banner)

No comments: